We are not surprised that Ireland has some of the most beautiful drives in the world!
A survey of millions of images posted to Instagram has shown the most beautiful road trips in the world, based on how many photos have been taken and shared on social media.
Pentagon Motor Group, a UK car sales and leasing company conducted the research, analysing 7 million Instagram hashtags associated with the world’s most popular road trip destinations.
By calculating how many Instagram pictures are shared per mile of the journey, they complied a list of the top 20 road trip destinations in the world, which includes two Irish locations.
The results revealed that Australia’s Great Ocean Road is the most beautiful road trip route in the world.
The 157 mile coastal drive had a massive 1,321,570 hashtagged images on Instagram, meaning that nearly 8,418 pictures are taken per mile.
The Wild Atlantic Way came in at an impressive number 8, with 853 pictures taken per mile.
The 1,600km drive, which stretches along the west coast from Cork to Donegal is sure to be another popular road trip destination this summer so we are sure to see updated pictures of the beautiful drive on our Instagram again.
The Wild Atlantic way is one of the most beautiful road trips routes in the world (via Getty)
The second Irish entry that made the top twenty was the Causeway Coast in Northern Ireland, which took the nineteenth position.
The study also found that the USA has the most picturesque stretches of road out of any country, with six entries in the top twenty, including, Big Sur , Blue Ridge Parkway and the famous Route 66.
The full list of the top 20 Road Trip destinations in the world is as follows;
1. Great Ocean Road, Australia – 8,418 pictures per mile
2. Big Sur, USA – 5,226 pictures per mile
3. Jebel Hafeet, United Arab Emirates – 4,840 pictures per mile
4. Hai Van Pass, Vietnam – 4,298 pictures per mile
5. Chapman’s Peak Drive, South Africa – 3,425 pictures per mile
6. Blue Ridge Parkway, USA – 1,148 pictures per mile
7. Going-To-The-Sun Road, USA – 940 pictures per mile
8. Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland – 853 pictures per mile
9. Olympic Peninsula Loop, USA – 798 pictures per mile
10. Icefields Parkway, Canada – 781 pictures per mile
11. Route 66, USA – 780 pictures per mile
12. Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, Austria – 677 pictures per mile
13. Pacific Highway, Australia – 657 pictures per mile
14. Tioga Pass, USA – 533 pictures per mile
15. Military Road, UK – 483 pictures per mile
16. Cabot Trail, Canada – 466 pictures per mile
17. Hana Highway, USA – 345 pictures per mile
18. The Atlantic Road, Norway – 294 pictures per mile
19. Causeway Coastal Route, Northern Ireland – 244 pictures per mile
20. North Coast 500, Scotland – 226 pictures per mile
The survey analysed photos shared on instagram (via Getty)
Jonathan Lingham, Marketing Director at Pentagon Motor Group said: “Despite the looming question over international travel, road trips are still on cards, thanks to the luxury and convenience of our wheels.
“As there are so many driving holiday destinations around the globe, we were curious to find out which route is officially the most beautiful.” he continued.
“It’s great to see so many bucket-list-worthy road trips cropping up from all around the world – from the UK to Australia, and Norway to the USA – it proves that everyone can jump in their car and embark on an epic adventure” he added.
Some of these drives have definitely been added to our bucket list now!