AUSTIN, Texas – The Texas women’s golf program continues its 2021 season with a trip to Humble, Texas, where the Longhorns will take part in the ICON Invitational on Feb. 22-23 at the Golf Club of Houston. The 15-team field will play 36 holes on Monday and the final 18 on Tuesday.
2021 ICON Invitational
Feb. 22-23, 2021
Where: Humble, Texas (Golf Club of Houston)
Format: 36 holes on Monday; 18 holes on Tuesday
Field: Baylor, Houston, Kent State, LSU, Michigan State, North Texas, Northwestern, Oklahoma State, Purdue, SMU, TCU, Texas A&M, Texas, Texas State and Texas Tech
• The Texas women’s golf team is in pursuit of a fourth-straight Big 12 Championship (2017-19) after the 2020 season was cut short due to COVID-19. The Longhorns won the 2019 Big 12 title by a conference-record 37 strokes.
• UT finished the 2019-20 season ranked No. 2 in the nation and were victorious three times as a team throughout the year.
• Sophie Guo, Agathe Laisne and Kaitlyn Papp were all named to the preseason watch list for The ANNIKA Award, the highest honor women’s collegiate golf.
• Two Texas golfers finished the 2019-20 season ranked in the top-six nationally, according to the Golfweek rankings. Kaitlyn Papp was ranked No. 5 and Sophie Guo was No. 6.
• Papp was the low amateur at the 2020 U.S. Women’s Open back in December, finishing tied for ninth at 3-over par. Her top-10 finish at the Champions Golf Club in Houston granted her an exemption into the 2021 U.S. Open Field.
• The Longhorns placed third at the Trinity Forest Invitational, their first tournament of the spring, in early February.