Turkey will replace Canada on this year’s Formula One calendar after the June 13 race in Montreal was cancelled for the second year in a row due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Formula One said on Wednesday it had extended Montreal’s contract by two years to take into account the cancellations, securing the race until 2031.
The race had been scheduled for the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on the weekend after the Azerbaijan Grand Prix and Turkey’s Istanbul circuit will be logistically convenient for air freight coming from Baku.
The Turkish race returned last year for the first time since 2011 and also at short notice to bolster a calendar ravaged by the pandemic.
There were no races in the Americas or Far East last year, with the reduced, 17-round season conducted entirely in Europe and the Middle East and some circuits holding more than one grand prix.
Formula One said it would work with the Canadian promoter to refund or transfer tickets.
The race is the second cancellation of the year, after China, while Australia has been moved from March to November.
The next two races in Portugal, this weekend, and Spain won’t have any on-site spectators.