How Rs. 6144 spreads across cricketers in IPL over 14 years | Courtesy: BCCI/IPL
- The IPL has spent over 6100 crores on just salaries of players over 14 seasons
- Indians have earned 56.7% of the overall expenditure on salaries
- Australians and South Africans are the next in line
The Indian Premier League (IPL) surpassed the Rs. 6000 crore mark with the auction for the 14th edition of the league on Thursday. At the auction event in Chennai, franchises like Royal Challengers Bangalore, Chennai Super Kings, Mumbai Indians, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Punjab Kings, Kolkata Knight Riders, Delhi Capitals and Rajasthan Royals bought a total of 57 players, including 22 overseas stars.
As per a report in Insidesport, by spending Rs. 145.30 crore in the auction for IPL 14, the franchises in the T20 league have spent a total of Rs. 6144 crore overall over 14 seasons. Since the inaugural season of the league in 2008, a total of 789 players have earned IPL contracts, of which Indians constitute 56.7%.
While there’s no doubting that Indian players have earned the biggest chunk of money from IPL over the years, the Australians are next in line followed by South Africans. Here’s how the distribution of salary has happened over the years across players from different countries:
- India: Indian players have earned a total of 3433 crore from IPL over 14 seasons which is 56.7 percent of the total chunk.
- Australia: A total of 94 Australian cricketers have participated in the IPL over 14 seasons, earning Rs. 905.9.
- South Africa: Proteas cricketers are third on the list, with 56 players from the Rainbow Nation being a part of the IPL over the years. They have earned Rs 539 cr cumulatively from the league.
- West Indies: The men from the Caribbean made the T20 format famous all across the globe. In IPL, as many as 33 Windies players have participated in total, earning Rs. 458.54 cr.
- England: Even from England, a total of 33 players have participated in the IPL, earning contracts worth Rs. 285.96 cr.
- New Zealand: In total, 31 Kiwi cricketers have been a part of the Indian Premier League till now, earning INR 211.6 crore.
- Sri Lanka: The Islanders haven’t had much participation in IPL of late but have still earned Rs. 195.93 crore through 27 players.
- Afghanistan: Only four Afghanistan players have been a part of IPL so far, with Rashid Khan being the most prominent. They have earned a total of Rs. 58.4 crore over the years.
- Bangladesh: Only six Bangladesh players have played in the IPL in 14 seasons, earning 34.78 crore.
- Pakistan: Pakistani players were allowed in the IPL only during the initial phase. A total of 11 made the cut, earning 12.84 crore.
- Netherlands: Just two players were lucky to make the cut into the IPL from the Netherlands. They earned a total of Rs. 5.27 crore cumulatively.
- Zimbabwe: The men from Zimbabwe haven’t had much luck in the IPL of late. Only three participated in the league, that too during the early days, earning Rs. 1 crore.
Going by the current trend, it won’t be long before the total expenditure on salaries goes past 1000cr mark.