!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Sensex jumps 260.98 pts to end at new lifetime high of 48,437.78
Nifty rises 66.60 pts to record 14,199.50
Anyone can resign. He (Laxmi Ratan Shukla) wrote in his resignation letter that he wants to give more time to sports and will continue as an MLA. Don’t take it in a negative way
– West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
Piyush Goyal launches portal to promote railways’ freight business
Railway Minister Piyush Goyal launched an exclusive portal to promote and develop the railways’ freight business on Tuesday. The Indian Railways’ freight business development portal will act as a “one-stop, single-window” solution for all the needs of its freight customers, he said.
Earthquake of magnitude 3.2 on the Richter scale hit Chamba in Himachal Pradesh at 1:09 pm today
National Center for Seismology
Market at record high, Nifty crosses 14,200
Bird flu is declared as state-specific disaster in Kerala and high alert has been issued after an outbreak of bird flu was confirmed in certain parts of Kottayam and Alappuzha districts
– Kerala Government
Tamil Nadu: Severe water-logging in parts of Chennai following heavy rainfall
Delhi: Ramesh Pokhariyal & Smriti Irani launch a virtual toy hackathon ‘Toycathon 2021’
“80% of toys are imported in India. We’ve the capability to make these here as well,” says Union Minister Smriti Irani
UK launches new £4.6 bn plan to help virus-hit firms
West Bengal Minister-of-State, Department of Youth Services and Sports Laxmi Ratan Shukla resigns from his post
Western Dedicated Freight Corridor (WDFC) will be partially inaugurated on 7th January: Railways
This is Rewari-Mandar Section and the length of this section is 306 kilometres: Indian Railways
TN govt declares ‘Thai Poosam’ a public holiday
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami on Tuesday said he has ordered public holiday for ‘Thai Poosam,’ a festival dedicated to worshiping of Lord Muruga.
- Palaniswami said during his tour of several districts, people made representations, urging him to declare Thai Poosam a public holiday and they said in Sri Lanka and Mauritius the day was a holiday.
Jihadists in Niger kill at least 100 in mounting violence
- More than 100 civilians were killed in Niger over the weekend by extremists who attacked two villages, as insurgent violence mounts in the West African nation.
- The attacks on the western villages of Tchombangou and Zaroumdareye took place on the same day that Niger announced that presidential elections would go to a second round on February 21.
Sensex up by 36.05 points, currently trading at 48,212.85
Viral infection outbreak in Madhya Pradesh
Nearly 400 crows have died due to viral infection so far in 7-8 districts of Madhya Pradesh. The virus is not found in poultry, it is airborne and there is no vaccine for it. We believe it came from Rajasthan: Dr RK Rokde, Director of Animal Husbandry Department, MP
ED attaches shares of a shell co under PMLA
Enforcement Directorate attaches shares worth Rs 452 crores of ILFS Tamil Nadu Power Company (ITPCL) held in the name of AS. Coal Pte Singapore, a shell company, owned by a British national Jaimin Vyas, under Prevention of Money Laundering Act in a fraud case: ED
Sourav Ganguly to be discharged tomorrow
BCCI President Sourav Ganguly to be discharged from the hospital tomorrow. He will be monitored at home on a daily basis. He will be ready for the next course of procedures or medical intervention after about 2-3 weeks: Dr Rupali Basu MD & CEO Woodlands Hospital, Kolkata
Several Indian states report bird flu outbreak
Amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, India has reported the emergence of bird flu since last week. The presence of the virus is confirmed in the dead birds in Madhya Pradesh and Kerala while Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat, too, have a strong suspicion of avian influenza in dead birds.
Gregg Clark appointed analytical coach of Indian men’s hockey team
South African Olympian Gregg Clark has been appointed as the new analytical coach of the Indian men’s hockey team till the Tokyo Olympic Games, Hockey India announced on Tuesday.
Union Minister Hardeep Singh Puri on Central Vista Project:
- We welcome Supreme Court’s judgement giving go-ahead to Central Vista Project.
- Govt has always been sensitive to environmental concerns, will adhere to the highest standards during construction.
- Delhi on course to becoming a world-class capital city.
- By the time nation completes 75 yrs of Independence in 2022, new Parliament building will be ready, reflecting aspirations of new India.
Sourav Ganguly stable
BCCI president and former Team India captain Sourav Ganguly, who underwent angioplasty after suffering a mild heart attack, is in a stable condition, and his vital health parameters are normal, a doctor at the hospital where he is admitted said on Tuesday.
PM Modi’s statements during the inauguration of Kochi-Mangaluru Natural gas pipeline
- Kochi-Mangaluru natural gas pipeline to usher in city gas projects in several cities.
- Natural gas pipeline network to be doubled in 5-6 years.
- CNG stations to be raised to 10,000 from current 1,500.
Kochi – Mangaluru Natural Gas Pipeline
India’s quest to become a gas-based economy
I do not want to talk about the reasons behind the rate of India’s progress in previous decades. India cannot develop slowly now. In recent years, the country has increased its speed, scale, and scope of development.
– PM Narendra Modi
Kochi – Mangaluru Natural Gas Pipeline
- 450 km pipeline length
- 12 MMSCMD capacity
- Rs 3000 crore project cost
PM inaugurates the Kochi-Mangaluru natural gas pipeline
PM Narendra Modi inaugurates the Kochi-Mangaluru natural gas pipeline, via video conferencing; says, “It is an honour to dedicate the 450-km pipeline to the nation. This is an important day for India, especially for people of Karnataka and Kerala.”
Flight operations at Srinagar airport suspended for third consecutive day
Flight operations to and from Srinagar remained suspended for the third consecutive day on Tuesday due to poor visibility as the Valley received heavy snowfall, officials said. Operations will resume only after the weather improves, they added.
PM Modi attends the inauguration event of the Kochi-Mangaluru natural gas pipeline, via video conferencing.
Governors and Chief Ministers of Karnataka and Kerala, along with Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas present.
SC directs project proponent of Central Vista project to install smog tower and use anti-smog guns at all construction sites
Central Vista project: Separate opinion by Justice Sanjiv Khanna. Says I agree on the issue of award of project
However, disagrees with the judgment on change in land use. Says prior approval of heritage Committee should have been there.
SC clears Central Vista redevelopment project with riders that heritage conservation committee will clear constructions
Heritage Conservation Committee approval needed when construction work is to begin. SC directs project proponents to get approval from the Heritage committee.
Central Vista project: Supreme Court says excercise of the power under DDA Act is just and valid
The recommendations of environmental clearance by Ministry of Environment is just, valid and proper and we uphold the same.
Supreme Court begins pronouncing its verdict on the petitions challenging the validity of the Centre’s plan for the redevelopment of the Central Vista area
Muradnagar roof collapse victims’ families to get Rs 10 lakh
CM Yogi Adityanath has increased the ex-gratia amount to be given to kin of the 24 deceased in the Muradnagar crematorium collapse to Rs 10 lakh each and a house to those who do not have one. Further, the National Security Act to be imposed on the engineer and contractor of the crematorium and they will also pay for the losses. The commissioner and DM Ghaziabad get notices.
Rupee slips 13 paise to 73.15 against US dollar in early trade
Jammu-Srinagar National Highway blocked at Samroli in Udhampur due to landslides and mudslides at several places.
Google Cloud appoints Karan Bajwa as APAC leader
- Google Cloud on Tuesday announced the elevation of Karan Bajwa as its new leader for Asia Pacific. He currently leads Google Cloud in India.
- Bajwa will lead all regional revenue and go-to-market operations for Google Cloud, including on Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and Google Workspace from January 5, 2021, a statement said.
- He succeeds Rick Harshman who leaves the organization for a new opportunity, it added.
It’s great to see India’s leadership in scientific innovation and vaccine manufacturing capability as the world works to end the COVID-19 pandemic
– Bill Gates
Rajasthan govt transfers 21 IAS officers
In a major administrative reshuffle, the Rajasthan government has transferred 21 IAS officers including three district collectors, 56 IPS and 28 IFS officers in the state. The transfer list was issued late on Monday night.
UN member States, leaders welcome India, Ireland, Kenya, Mexico and Norway to UNSC
- UN leaders and member States welcomed India, Ireland, Kenya, Mexico and Norway to the UN Security Council and said they look forward to working with the five new non-permanent members to help advance peace and security globally during their 2021-22 term in the powerful world body.
- Flags of the five new UNSC members were installed at the Security Council stakeout on Monday during a solemn ceremony organised by the Kazakhstan Mission to the UN.
PM Modi extends birthday greetings to former UP CM Kalyan Singh
Spoke to Shri Kalyan Singh Ji and conveyed birthday greetings to him. His is a life devoted to public service and e… https://t.co/fqyBvbB2jQ
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 1609816352000
KL Rahul ruled out of Border-Gavaskar Trophy due to wrist injury
KL Rahul sprained his left wrist while batting in the nets at the MCG during Team India’s practice session on 2nd Jan. The wicketkeeper-batsman won’t be available for the remaining 2 Tests of Border-Gavaskar Trophy as he will need about 3 weeks time to recover completely: BCCI
Sensex drops 112.74 points to 48,064.06 in opening session; Nifty slips 38.25 points to 14,094.65.
Bird flu alert sounded in Madhya Pradesh after crow deaths
- The emergence of bird flu has caused alarm in Madhya Pradesh’s Mandsaur district where the presence of the virus has been confirmed in dead crows.
- Around 100 crows died in Mandsaur between December 23 and January 3.
- Dr Manish Ingole of the Animal Husbandry Department of Mandsaur said, “Bird Flu has been detected in four samples of dead crows sent to the state lab.”
India records highest number of babies born on New Year’s Day: UNICEF
More than 371,500 babies were born worldwide on New Year’s Day and India is estimated to have recorded the highest number of births at around 60,000, according to the UN’s children’s agency.
PM Modi greets former BJP president Murli Manohar Joshi on his birthday
Birthday greetings to @drmmjoshibjp Ji, one of India’s senior most and respected leaders. Throughout his life he ha… https://t.co/Rd5qgQFN0l
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 1609814432000
Jaishankar to begin three-day visit to Sri Lanka today
External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar will begin his three-day visit to Sri Lanka on Tuesday and is expected to discuss the bilateral issues with his Sri Lankan counterpart Dinesh Gunawardena, according to the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
PM Modi to inaugurate Kochi-Mangaluru natural gas pipeline today
- According to a release of the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), PM Modi will inaugurate Kochi-Mangaluru natural gas pipeline at 11 am today. The event will mark an important milestone towards the creation of ‘One Nation One Gas Grid’.
- Prime Minister Modi has said that the ” futuristic project will positively impact many people.”
Slack kicks off 2021 with a global outage
- Slack, the messaging service used by millions of people for work and school, suffered a global outage on Monday, the first day back for most people returning from the New Year’s holiday.
- It’s the latest tech glitch to show how disruptive technical difficulties can be when millions of people are depending on just a few services to work and go to school from home during the pandemic.
- The outage began around 10 a.m. Eastern time and disrupted service in the US, Germany, India, the U.K., Japan and elsewhere. At 12:30 p.m., service was still sporadic and Slack said the outage was ongoing, but that some users may begin to see improvement. Most issues were resolved by 3 pm. on Monday afternoon.
UK prime minister orders new national coronavirus lockdown
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced a new national lockdown for England until at least mid-February to combat a fast-spreading new version of the coronavirus.
- Under the new rules, which are set to come into effect as soon as possible, primary and secondary schools and colleges will be closed for face to face learning except for the children of key workers. University students will not be returning until at least mid-February.
Niger announces 3-day national mourning
Niger’s Interior Minister Alkache Alhada on Monday declared three days of nationwide mourning after terrorists attacked two villages in the west of the country killing about 100 people.
First new DACA applications approved in final weeks of 2020
- Over 170 new applicants have become the first individuals in several years to win approval to the Obama-era Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals programme for immigrants brought to the US as young people, the US government revealed in a court filing Monday.
- A report submitted by the Department of Homeland Security to Brooklyn federal court showed 171 new applications were approved from November 14 through the end of 2020 while 121 applications were denied and another 369 were rejected. In all, 2,713 initial applications were submitted.
Boat with more than 20 migrants sinks off Colombia’s coast
- Rescue workers in Colombia are trying to locate more than 20 migrants whose boat sank as it tried to reach Panama.
- The sinking was reported on Monday by officials in Acandi, a municipality along the Gulf of Uraba, an inlet of the Caribbean sea that is lined by dense jungle. Thousands of undocumented migrants cross the gulf each year on small boats.
Amazon’s Bezos tops list of richest charitable gifts in 2020
- The world’s richest person made the single-largest charitable contribution in 2020, according to The Chronicle of Philanthropy’s annual list of top donations, a $10 billion gift that is intended to help fight climate change.
- Amazon’s founder and CEO, Jeff Bezos, whose “real-time” worth Forbes magazine estimates at roughly $188 billion, used the contribution to launch his Bezos Earth Fund. The fund, which supports non-profits involved in the climate crisis, has paid out $790 million to 16 groups so far, according to the Chronicle.