New Zealand

Maritzburg’s bad luck continues as they share the spoils with Stellenbosch


Judas Moseamedi of Maritzburg United challenged by Deano van Rooyen of Stellenbosch FC

Muzi Ntombela/Gallo Images

Stellenbosch FC twice rallied from behind to secure a 2-2 draw with Maritzburg United in the Premiership encounter at Harry Gwala Stadium on Friday evening.

Judas Moseamedi opened the scoring after three minutes of play, only for Mark Van Heerden to restore parity in the 10th minute.

Moseamedi popped up again in the 15th minute to fire Martizburg back in front but it was Stanley Dimgba who had the last say, tapping home at the far post to help his side claim a point on the road.

The first half started with a bang as Maritzburg grabbed the lead after just three minutes of play.

Daylon Claasen made a surging run down the left flank before picking out Moseamedi just outside of the box, and the forward showed a clinical touch as he sent a low strike into the left corner.

Stellenbosch didn’t take long to post a response, however, and they made their chance count as Van Heerden headed home from close range in the 10th minute after being teed up by Dean David van Rooyen.

They very nearly added a second goal a couple of minutes later but Jayden Adams fired narrowly wide, letting the Team of Choice off the hook.

Stellies were made to rue that squandered chance as Maritzburg went up the other end of the pitch and reclaimed the lead in the 15th minute.

Moseamedi pounced on an error by the Stellenbosch defence before slotting the ball past the onrushing keeper and into the back of the net.

The visitors redoubled their efforts after conceding the second goal but later efforts from Stanley Dimgba, Ashley Du Preez and Marc Van Heerden failed to find the back of the net.

Maritzburg, meanwhile, saw Mosemaedi narrowly miss out on a hat-trick as his 36th-minute header flew just wide of the mark before team-mate Fares Hachi hit the bar with a powerful effort from the left side of the box.

Mosemaedi was denied in the 40th minute as goalkeeper Sage Stephens saved his goal-bound shot, and the scoreline would remain unchanged as the first half drew to a close.

The second half proved to be a more evenly contested affair, with the first 15-minute spell producing very little in the way of goalmouth action.

But Stellenbosch would eventually go on to level matters on 59 minutes as Stanley Dimgba prodded the ball home at the far post following some excellent work in the build-up by Du Preez.

Maritzburg twice went close to reclaiming the lead but Kwanda Mngonyama headed over from the centre of the box before Rushine De Reuck sent his own header wide of the right-hand post.

The hosts kept piling forward as they went in search of a third goal and they were again denied by the woodwork in the 69th minute as Keagan Buchanan struck the post with a curling free-kick.

There were chances for both teams with time running out but Maritzburg’s Bongokuhle Hlongwane saw his long-range shot saved while Stellenbosch’s Du Preez was also denied by the goalkeeper.

In the end, the two teams were forced to settle for a share of the spoils as the match ended in a stalemate.

Maritzburg have yet to register their first win of the season and are bottom of the PSL log with two points to their name after 8 games so far.

– TEAMtalk media


Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button