ISL: Jamshedpur end NorthEast United’s unbeaten run | Football News


Jamshedpur FC earned their second win of the seventh edition of the Indian Super League as they beat NorthEast United FC 1-0 at Tilak Maidan in Goa on Friday.
Aniket Jadhav, who played for India in the U-17 World Cup, scored the solitary goal in the 500th match of ISL as the Highlanders were handed their first loss of the season.
With this win, Jamshedpur have 10 points from seven matches and have risen to the fifth spot on the table. Gerard Nus’ men also have 10 points from the same number of ties but they sit just above JFC by virtue of the better goal difference.
After a drab first half, Aniket broke the deadlock in the 53rd minute following some brilliant play by the JFC players. It began with Nerijus Valskis heading a long ball down just outside the NEUFC box. Aniket, coming running down the centre, played it to Jackichand Singh, who then played it to Issac Vanmalsawma.
Issac sent the ball back to Jackichand before the latter gave an inch perfect pass to Aniket, who made no mistake to smash the ball into the net from close range.
Riding high on confidence, Aniket came close to scoring again two minutes later. Taking the ball from his own half, he ran down the right flank past two NEUFC defenders and into the penalty box. He should have passed it to Valskis but he took the shot himself to see it sail well over the bar.
Despite JFC’s dominance, NEUFC did not sit back and wait. They kept the Jamshedpur defence busy and earned themselves a penalty when Stephen Eze fouled NEUFC skipper Benjamin Lambot inside the area. However, Idrissa Sylla’s shot was easily saved by Jamshedpur FC goalkeeper TP Rehenesh.
Jamshedpur meanwhile had another great chance to double their lead in the 79th minute but Jackichand’s shot hit the crossbar.
While Aniket did score the all-important goal, Owen Coyle would also be happy with the way Issac performed despite a knock on the head early in the game when he was vying for an aerial ball with Ashutosh Mehta. Captain Peter Hartley also had a good match.
Earlier in the first half, both teams failed to create any concrete chances. The action shifted from one side to the other but none of the two teams could hold on to the ball in the final third.
Jamshedpur however did enjoy more possession but had zero shots on target. Interestingly Eze did have a number of opportunities to head the ball into the net from the long crosses but it was not his day.
For NEUFC, Kwesi Appiah came closest to scoring in the 17th minute. He went past as many as four JFC defenders and took the shot from just inside the box but it was well wide of the target. Six minutes later he had another chance when NEUFC won a free-kick near the edge of the box after Hartley was caught handling the ball. This time also, the Ghanaian shot wide.
Jamshedpur will next take on FC Goa on Wednesday while NEUFC will play Odisha FC on Tuesday.


Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button