PETALING JAYA: The country’s premier golf event, the Maybank Championship, will not be making a comeback next year due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The event was missing from the European Tour’s 42-tournament calendar in 2021 and a check with the title sponsor and promoter, has confirmed that its fifth edition will not be held for the second successive year.
This year’s meet was slated for April 16-19 at the Saujana Golf and Country Club in Subang.
Maybank in response to StarSport query said they have decided to defer the event following careful consideration and discussions with the European Tour.
“We made this difficult decision taking into consideration the safety and well-being of all stakeholders which is of utmost importance to us, ” said a Maybank spokesman in an email.
“Additionally, we have considered other factors such as the continued closure of borders as well as the guidelines on social distancing and mass gatherings which will make it even more challenging to offer a meaningful and memorable experience for players and fans.
“We will, nevertheless, continue to monitor the situation and work closely with the European Tour as well as our other partners in determining the best timing when we can safely host the Maybank Championship in the future.”
Since its inception in 2016, the event has featured prominently in both the European Tour and Asian Tour calendars.
With a lucrative purse of US$3mil (RM12.12mil), it is one of the handful European Tour-jointly sanctioned tournaments in Asia besides the China Open and Indian Open.
Some of the world’s best have graced the tournament, including Major winners Martin Kaymer of Germany, Louis Oosthuizen of South Africa, Henrik Stenson of Sweden and Danny Willett of England.
Last year’s edition was won by Australian Scott Hend when he pipped Spaniard Nacho Elvira in the playoff for his 15th career title.