Egypt boss doubles down on Mohamed Salah plan in blow to Liverpool’s season preparations
Egypt are still planning to select Mohamed Salah as they target gold at this summer’s Olympics.
The Liverpool star is a leading light for his country and they will need him firing on all cylinders if they are to achieve success.
Salah’s schedules could cross if he is involved in Tokyo however with the games running from July 23 – August 8.
U23s coach Shawky Gharib selected Salah in Egypt’s provisional squad for the tournament.
Each nation is allowed three players aged over 23 and Gharib has confirmed that the Liverpool star has expressed no desire to rule himself out.
“I have made it known publicly that I would like to have him with us during our Olympic campaign and he did not refuse, which means he also wants to play with us,” he said, as reported by French outlet L’Equipe.
“Salah’s participation in the Olympics is supported by the state, represented by the Ministry of Sports and the Egyptian Football Federation, in our joint effort to bring home an Olympic football medal for the first time.”
The Premier League season has been delayed by a week meaning it will now kick-off on August 14.
It still means Salah would miss Liverpool’s pre-season and potentially their opening game depending on how they choose to mange his workload.
The 28-year-old will also have the Africa Cup of Nations to deal with come January 2022.
Gharib has previously suggested he would discuss Salah’s inclusion with his club.
“There should be an agreement between all parties,” he said.
But his recent comments elude to him selecting the prolific forward regardless.
Jurgen Klopp will see more than 15 of his first team players jet off on international duty this summer with the delayed Euros taking place as well as the Copa America.