Dana White rules out Oscar De La Hoya facing a UFC fighter in his comeback bout
UFC chief Dana White has hit back at suggestions that one of his fighters could face Oscar De La Hoya in his comeback bout this summer – slamming the idea as ‘silly’.
The Golden Boy finally announced he will be returning to the ring on July 3 at the press conference for Jake Paul’s fight against Ben Askren, having teased fans about possibly stepping back into the sport.
The 48-year-old’s fight will be aired on social media platform Triller – which successfully organised Mike Tyson‘s comeback against Roy Jones Jr last year – with CEO Ryan Kavanaugh admitting that organisers would like him to take on a ‘big name’ from UFC.
Oscar De La Hoya won’t be taking on a UFC fighter for his comeback bout, says Dana White (R)
But White was barely willing to respond when the idea was put to him at UFC 260, slamming journalists for their ‘silly question’ and making it clear he was not on board with the veteran making a comeback.
‘To box De La Hoya? Come on guys, this s*** is getting silly. You guys just want to ask me silly questions.
‘You have got a 50-year-old guy f***ing boxing, and you guys are actually talking about it and covering press conferences?
‘Come on, come on you guys.’
De La Hoya’s last fight was a brutal stoppage defeat against Manny Pacquio back in 2008
It would not be the first time a boxer has come out of retirement to face a UFC fighter in a crossover bout. In 2017, Floyd Mayweather returned to the ring for the first time in two years against Conor McGregor in a money-spinning contest in Las Vegas – which the veteran boxer won by KO in the 10th round.
De La Hoya – who has become a promoter since retiring under his Golden Boy Promotions banner – has previously earmarked Mayweather as a possible opponent having lost to ‘Money’ on a split decision back in 2007.
‘I’ve always prided myself in fighting the very best, and why go after the second-best?’ De La Hoya said on Fight Hub TV.
His big comeback reveal on Friday was certainly memorable – but perhaps not for the right reasons as fans could barely hear him because his microphone was broken.
It would not be the first time a boxer has come out of retirement to face a UFC figher – Floyd Mayweather (L) took on Conor McGregor (R) in a money-spinning crossover bout in 2017
The Golden Boy announed his boxing comeback on Friday night alongside rapper Snoop Dog
He quietly told fans he would be back on July 3rd before dropping his mic and walking away – but was left red-faced after finding out fans could not hear him
Rapper Snoop Dog, a presenter at the event, asked De La Hoya ‘what are you in town for?’ before telling him ‘I feel like there’s something missing. I keep seeing you in the ring but I don’t see you in the ring. Talk to me.’
His reponse was muffled and nearly inaudible, before he can faintly be heard saying: ‘July 3rd, I’m making my comeback’, before dropping his mic and walking away.
Snoop Dog later reiterates to the fans in the crowd what De la Hoya had just announced – with the former boxer seemingly unaware of the technical issue.
De La Hoya has not boxed for 13 years and his last fight saw him suffer a brutal stoppage against Manny Pacquiao in 2008. He was a world champion at six different weight divisions and finished his career with a record of 39 victories – 30 coming by way of knockout – and six losses.