LOGAN, Utah – Utah State women’s tennis (1-1) ended its opening weekend in a 4-3 loss to Idaho State, Sunday.
Starting the day in doubles, Utah State picked up one win, the point went to the Bengals. Junior Annaliese County and sophomore Renata Lombera teamed up to defeat Alexandra Arkhipov and Angela Walker, 6-4, in the No. 2 spot.
Singles play started out well for the Aggies. Sophomore Zara Ryan earned the first point with a straight-set victory (6-1, 6-4) at the No. 2 position. Sophomore Carolina Millan closed out her match in straight sets as well, topping Hristina Cvetkovic in a pair of 6-2 decisions. Both County and freshman Lisa Küng pushed their singles matches to three sets, but were unable to make the comeback.
Junior Sidnee Lavatai had a 3-0 lead in her first set at the No. 4 spot, but had to retire with an injury, giving the point to the Bengals. With the match already decided, Lombera’s three-set match at No. 6 came down to a super tie-break. She clinched the win after taking that final set, 10-8.
Utah State takes to the road next weekend for a pair of matches in Colorado. The Aggies will play at Denver on Saturday, Feb. 6, at 1 p.m., then at Colorado on Sunday, Feb. 7, at 11 a.m.
Fans can follow USU’s women’s tennis team on Twitter @USUWomensTennis, on Facebook at /UtahStateWomensTennis or on Instagram at USUWomensTennis. Aggie fans can also follow the Utah State athletic program on Twitter, @USUAthletics, Facebook at /USUAthletics and on Instagram, @USUAthletics.
1. Hristina Cvetkovic/Hana Cho (ISU) def. Carolina Millan/Sidnee Lavatai (USU) 6-2
2. Annaliese County/Renata Lombera (USU) def. Alexandra Arkhipov/Angela Walker (ISU) 6-4
3. Sol O’Lideadha/Lola O’Lideadha (ISU) def. Zara Ryan/Lillian Okamoto (USU) 7-5
1. Carolina Millan (USU) def. Hristina Cvetkovic (ISU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Zara Ryan (USU) def. Alexandra Arkhipov (ISU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Hana Cho (ISU) def. Lisa Küng (USU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Sol O’Lideadha (ISU) def. Annaliese County (USU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
5. Angela Walker (ISU) def. Sidnee Lavatai (USU) Retired
6. Renata Lombera (USU) def. Megan Lang-Gould (ISU) 3-6, 7-5, 10-8
Idaho State: 1-1
Utah State: 1-1
Order of finish: Doubles – 1, 2, 3; Singles – 2, 1, 4, 3, 6